“Is there a better way to do this?”
This question guides almost everything we do at Gayler Design Build. Are you the kind of person who is always looking for a better way? Do you like to work with other motivated, energetic professionals who deliver on their commitments?
Motivated professionals enjoy working for Gayler Design Build because our environment encourages and promotes personal and professional growth. Gayler Design Build is a place where we emphasize training and promotion from within, everyone’s contributions get recognized and excellence is rewarded.
If you answered “yes” to the questions above, and you want to work with the best, most highly trained carpenters, designers, consultants, and trade partners, check out our current job openings and apply today!
Carpenters / Carpenter Apprentice / Journeyman
We are looking for entry level to experienced carpenters to join our team who are passionate about remodeling. Job duties include performing various carpentry skills and aspects of remodeling for kitchens, baths, additions, basements, etc. Must have basic carpentry skills with a strong work ethic and willingness to learn in a challenging and fun atmosphere.
Summary: The Estimator reports to the General Manager and collaborates with the Sales and Design team, as well as the Project Manager to develop accurate and timely estimates for specification.
Responsibilities: The Estimator is responsible for completing the following tasks and activities:
Develop 2 types of budgets:
Discovery budget - ballpark budget range based on unit pricing, floorplan design, completed client questionnaire and Houzz idea book. Create Scope of Work. Complete within 3 business days of receiving plan.
Detailed budget - Request quotes from suppliers and trades- allow four weeks max. Calculate GDB labor hours from take-offs and confirm with production team. Create material list. Create final Scope of Work. Complete budget within four weeks of receiving final design. Final fixed price budget (with allowances for selections) should be within 2% of actual.
- Conduct project site inspections with the design team to record existing conditions and forecast production needs for the budget.
- Review plans and specifications to determine initial budget and detailed estimates of remodels, outdoor living spaces and home addition projects. This is to be based on design concepts, scope of work, contractor bids, specifications, architectural drawings, allowances and selections.
- Understand and interpret schematics and drawings and be able to do take offs and material lists from plans.
- Obtain clarification on designs, plans and specifications from designers, architects and engineers when necessary.
- Schedule and attend job walks with the salesperson, project manager and trades.
- Proactively search out answers and information that is needed to move the cost estimate forward.
- Assemble trade/supplier bid solicitation packages and follow up with trades during the course of the bid. Review bids for accuracy and complete Scope of Work.
- Negotiate contracts with external vendors to reach profitable agreements.
- When needed, assist in value engineering assessment by research resulting in recommended options for alternative design solutions (to include initial cost, schedule implications and constructability issues).
- Draft design agreements, scope of work and construction agreements prepared for the client based on the approved plan, budget and Scope of Work.
- Draft and revise construction agreements prepared for the client based on the approved plan, budget and Scope of Work.
- Review with Salesperson and prepare Presentation Packets with all documents and presentation materials to offer the client at the Budget & Design Presentation Meeting.
- Assist in pricing out change orders.
- Update project information in all appropriate GDB data systems and file all materials in the proper electronic and paper systems.
- Review estimate vs actual and contribute to project autopsy meetings. Make changes as needed to estimating databases and processes, based on meeting feedback.
- Maintain trade and supplier relationships. Be open to adding new trades and suppliers to the team (equal in caliber to GDB).
- Develop and maintain a database of historical information on “Scopes of Work” for each project to use as a reference for ballpark quotes/budgets for potential future clients. Work with office administrator annually to update the Ballpark Budget data used for client intakes.
- Develop and maintain unit pricing and update annually, or more, if needed.
- Go to job sites as needed.
- Attend weekly Sales & Design Review meetings.
Accountabilities: The Estimator is accountable for completing the above tasks and activities to the following measurements of success and standards of quality and performance:
- Wear office appropriate Gayler Design Build clothing or business casual clothing to work and interact with clients in a respectful and professional manner.
- Exhibit the Gayler values in all activities while on project sites or Gayler offices.
- Provide clear, accurate, complete and on-time required and requested reports and communications.
- Read and understand the Employee Manual and know Gayler Design Build’s office policies and procedures.
- Project is created in BuilderTREND within 48 hours of a signed Construction Agreement.
- Continually update and create better systems for the Estimator position and the responsibilities of the position.
Authority: The following lists what circumstances the Estimator has the authority to make a decision without prior approval:
- Manage day-to-day activities to meet the requirements of the position and to meet all project milestones, deliverable deadlines and budgets.
- Design and recommend changes to the project coordination processes, systems and tools.
Skills, Education and Experience: The following lists the minimum or desired skills, education and experience required for the role of the Estimator:
- Basic English proficiency as determined by passing ESL 1 course, (or passing an equivalency test administered by Gayler Design Build).
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in construction and/or construction project administration, with the ability to read plans, do take offs, and create material lists.
- Proficient in CAD, Microsoft Word and Excel. Pluses: proficiency in BuilderTrend and ClickUp.
- Valid California State driver’s license.
- Valid Social Security Number.
- Able to lift up to 25 pounds without assistance.
- Pass background check without incident and pass drug testing.
Please send your resume and career goals to Kelly at Gayler Design Build, 390 Diablo Road Suite #210, Danville CA 94526 or use the form below to submit it via email. Please note, all fields are required.