If things just aren’t cooking in your kitchen, it may be time for a remodel. Kitchens are one of our more popular, highly requested home remodeling projects mostly because it’s the central room in the home—it’s where we cook, dine, entertain, do homework, play games and live. Kitchen remodels are also great resale value boosters.
But before you ask the question, “How much does a kitchen remodel cost?” please consider the many different factors that go into the end price. No two homeowners will get the same answer. Just a few of these factors include:
- Do you need repairs to electrical, ductwork or plumbing systems?
- What needs to be replaced? Just the cabinets, or the appliances as well?
- Will you be moving elements around and changing the architecture significantly, or keeping the current floor plan?
Kitchen remodeling prices can vary significantly depending on how the kitchen space needs to function, and what you want to do with it to make it really shine. The best way to get a ballpark estimate is to contact Gayler Design Build for a complimentary consultation. We specialize in everything from mid-range remodels to high-end, luxury kitchens. Peruse these 3 general budget “areas” to start exploring what you need and want in a kitchen remodeling project:
1. The Cosmetic Kitchen Remodel (Basic)
If you like your current kitchen layout generally, but it just seems outdated and inefficient, perhaps all you really need are some cosmetic changes to increase efficiency and bring the kitchen forward in time with fixtures, appliances, lighting, and surfaces that are fresh, new, bright and durable. The price will vary depending on your style choices and basic repairs needed. Some potential cosmetic kitchen remodeling elements may include:
- Lighting updates—We’ll discuss brightening dark kitchen workspaces with more energy efficient, up-to-date light fixtures.
- Appliance updates—Switching out your major appliances from older, less efficient models to newer, nicer, more efficient ones is often a very satisfying kitchen remodel that pays off in happier cooking, cleaning and entertaining.
- Flooring—There are so many great, cost-effective, easy-to-clean options you can choose from, particularly linoleum.
- Cabinets—Unless your cabinets need to be entirely replaced, you may be able to really improve your kitchen’s look by just having the cabinets painted, changing the hardware and other surface accents.
- Backsplashes and Laminate—You can really play with these surface elements to get a unique, stylish or classic look that you love cooking with. Laminate surfaces can include photo printed countertops with unique edge designs that grab attention without a huge budget. Splurge a bit on a tile backsplash; they can vary in cost depending on your design.
You may want to remodel all of these items, or just a couple of them to bring your kitchen into the future. Or you can go deeper…
2. Mid-Range Kitchen Remodel
A mid-range kitchen remodel typically involves changing basic layout elements (ex: ductwork, plumbing, electrical, etc.) and updating the basic design and flow of your kitchen space. It may include all or some of the items from the cosmetic kitchen remodel, but on a deeper level:
- Professional-Grade Appliances—Let your inner foodie out with some serious professional-grade appliances. If you yearn to do what they do on your favorite cooking shows in your own kitchen, professional-grade refrigerators, double-convection ovens, and other chef-grade appliances can replace your older ones.
- Add an Island—Kitchen islands provide an important focal point for everything that happens in the kitchen. You can perfect your crème brûlée recipe while helping your kids with their homework, or host a super game night or holiday get-together.
- Upgrade the Cabinetry—You can go deeper with the cabinets here; maximize and improve storage space with pull-out shelving, gorgeous wood, glazes, paints and materials with fantastic hardware. You’ll need to think about how you use your space currently and how it could improve so you get the right cabinetry for your space.
- Flooring—With a bigger budget, you can afford to consider hardwood or ceramic tile floors that really pop with your whole design.
- Serious Surfaces—Natural stone countertops, glass tile backsplashes are enormously popular, and for good reason: they look amazing and perform beautifully for years.
- Personal Touches—If you’re pulling and replacing, consider making a statement with the light fixtures, the hardware, the knobs and other accessories in the kitchen.
3. Luxury Kitchen Remodel
If money is no object and you adore kitchens, aim for the bold, stylish, professional-grade chef’s kitchen of your dreams. A luxury kitchen remodel can change the entire space: removing walls, adding islands, adding entirely new architectural elements and anything else you want:
- Built-in, Professional-Grade Appliances—Why not a huge, built-in refrigerator or a new Sub-Zero, La Cornue or Wolf gas range with a custom-built range hood? If you’re entertaining large parties, the bigger, the better when it comes to all of the appliances. Better still, hide these behind custom wooden doors that match the rest of your cabinets.
- Kitchen Architecture—We can make your kitchen beyond beautiful with crown moldings, custom-designed windows, tall ceilings, etc. We also integrate the design of your kitchen so it fits well with the rest of your home structurally and stylistically.
- The Finest Materials—Choose from the best in hardwood floors, natural stone countertops, completely custom-designed cabinetry and elegant crystal chandeliers. Just talk to us about your design tastes and we can find the best there is.
- Amazing Storage Options—Think outside of the box on your custom cabinets and make them really work for you. They don’t even have to look like cabinets! Consider pull-outs cabinets or drop-down doors that create extra counter space for major entertaining, but tuck back out of sight after the party. If you can dream it, we can do it.
- Splashy Backsplashes and Delectable Details—You can create an amazing mosaic focal point with stone, ceramic or glass tiles that will stand the test of time while exuding amazing style. Order a beautiful farmhouse sink with feet, a quartzite island that sparkles, miraculous storage cabinets, design elements and colors that pop, vintage faucets and chef-grade appliances and more. We can make your kitchen dreams come true!
The Right Kitchen Remodel for You
If you desire a mid-range to luxury kitchen remodeling project, let’s sit down and discuss your budget and kitchen design ideas together. Contact Gayler Design Build at (925) 820-0185 for a complimentary, in-home design consultation for your kitchen, and we can start discussing modern details that bring your whole kitchen together in a unified, beautiful, functionally-flowing style that enables you to entertain with ease and distinction.